Apple Cake with Rich Caramel Buttercream
For the Apple cake dough:
- 2 (250gm) cups flour
- 250gm cups packed light-brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 115gm butter at room temperature
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of salt
For the Swiss Caramel Buttercream:
- 350gm butter at room temperature
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup light-brown sugar
- pinch of salt
For the Caramel Shards:
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
2) To make the Apple cake dough: prepare two round cake pans, line each with parchment paper. Then grease and dust with flour the sides of the tin (tapping out excess).
3) In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: sifted flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and salt and set aside.
4) In a large bowl, whisk together butter, brown sugar, and eggs until well combined. Add flour mixture; mix just until combined. Fold in diced apples.
5) Divide batter between prepared pans and smooth the tops with a spatula.
6) Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean (about 35 to 40 minutes) Allow the cakes to cool then remove from the pans. Peel off parchment paper.
7) To make Swiss Caramel Buttercream: in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, whisk together egg whites, brown sugar, and salt until sugar has dissolved. Whisk continuously untill mixture becomes voluminous and warm (63C).
8) Remove from heat. Using an electric mixer on high speed beat mixture until fluffy and cooled (about 10-15 minutes).
9) Reduce the speed to medium-low and gradually add butter one spoon at a time, beating until fully incorporated.
10) To make Caramel Shards: in a small sauce pan heat sugar and water. Bring to a boil on medium heat then watch closly. As soon as mixture turns deep amber colour remove from the heat and add baking soda. Mixture will bubble immediately. Allow bubbling to subside, then pour onto a silicone mat or aluminum foil greased with oil lightly. Allow caramel to cool completely before braking it.
11) To assemble the cake: Place one layer of the Apple cake on a serving plate, spread top with buttercream. Top with the second layer and spread remaining buttercream over top and sides of the cake. Sprinkle with small caramel pieces and insert large shards of caramel into the cake top.
12) Refrigerate at least for 1 hour. The cake take it out of the fridge 5 -10 minute before serving.