Apple Cinnamon Fingers
For the dough:
- 2 cups of flour
- 150gm butter cold and cut in cubes
- 3-4 table spoons of cold water
- 2-3 table spoons powder sugar
- pinch of salt
For the apple pure:
- 800gm apples peeled, cored and cut in medium cubes
- 1/3 cup sugar
For the topping:
- 1 tea spoon of cinnamon
- 2 table spoons of milk or whipping cream (for brushing)
- Demerara sugar for sprinkling (or regular white sugar)
1) Prepare a cookie tray by lining with baking parchment or use a silicon mat instead. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2) To make the dough: combine butter and flour in a bowl of an electric mixer and mix until crumbly. Add powdered sugar, mix once again. Start adding cold water – a table spoon at a time until the dough will start to form. Wrap in a cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3) Meanwhile prepare the apple filling by placing apples in a large pot with sugar. Simmer on low heat till the is almost no juices left. This might take up to 40 minutes. Remove from the heat. Cool slightly then blitz in a food processor to make a smooth apple sauce.
4) Preheat the oven to 180C. Take the dough out of the fridge and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes. Divide the dough in half on a lightly floured surface and roll each piece to a thickness of 3-4mm.
5) Spread the apple sauce over one of the pieces, cover with the other half and pat gently to adhere. Take a pizza cutter and cut the dough into 10×1.5cm rectangles. Place on to a silicon mat. Brush with milk and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar.
6) Bake for about 18-25 minutes (time will depend on the thickness and size of the cookies) till golden in colour.