Black forest cake
For the Chocolate Sponge Cake:
- 6 eggs
- 150gm sugar
- 100gm flour sifted
- 50gm cocoa powder sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
For the filling and topping:
- 1cup of ready made cherry pie filling
For the decoration:
- 2-3 cups whipping cream (whipped)
- 1/3 cup chocolate vermicelli sprinkles
- 50-80gm dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180 degres C. Lightly grease two 23cm cake tins or round silicone molds and line the base with greased baking parchment.
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and whisk until the mixture is pale and thick enough to leave a trail when the whisk is lifted out of the bowl (that will take about 6 to 10 minutes).
- Carefully fold in the sifted flour, baking powder and cocoa powder.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared tins and bake for 25-35minutes. Until the sponges are well risen and beginning to shrink away from the sides of the tin. Allow to cool before removing from the baking tins. Peel off the parchment paper.
- To make chocolate decorations: melt plain chocolate in a bowls set over pan of gently simmering water. Spoon the melted chocolate into a disposable piping bag. Lay a sheet of parchment paper and pipe 12-18 chocolate tree shapes. Leave to harden and set.
- To assemble the cake: divide the cream into thirds, setting aside 2/3 for the sides and top of the cake. Divide the cherry mixture into two halves. Spread whipping cream over over the one chocolate sponge cake. Spread halve of the cherry filling over the whipping cream. Top with the second sponge layer.
- Spread reserved one third of the whipped cream around the sides and top of the cake. Spread the other halve of the cherry filling over the top of the cake
- With the remaining reserved cream, pipe rosettes of cream around the top edge of the cake.
- Press some of the chocolate vermicelli sprinkles to the bottom of the cake and decorate with the chocolate trees.
- Sprinkle some more of the chocolate vermicelli sprinkles over the top of the cake.