Carrot Cake (Classic)
For the Carrot Cake:
- 260ml oil
- 280gm sugar
- 3 eggs
- 340gm grated carrots
- 230gm crushed pineapple (with juice)
- 7gm baking soda
- 10gm ground cinnamon
- 5gm salt
- 15gm baking powder
- 300gm flour
- 40gm corn starch
- 80gm coconut
- 80gm walnuts
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 100g butter at room temperature
- 160g cream cheese at room temperature
- 5 ml vanilla extract
- 560g powdered sugar
For the cake batter:
1) Blend the oil and sugar in a large mixer bowl fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the eggs, beating to incorporate.
2) Blend in the carrots and pineapple.
3) Sift the baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, corn starch and flour together, and then add them to the batter. Stir in the coconut and walnuts.
4) Divide the batter into greased and floured pans (25cmx2).
5) Bake at 170-180 C until springy to the touch and a cake tester comes out almost clean.
6) Allow the cakes to cool, then fill and frost as desired with Cream Cheese Frosting.
For the cream cheese frosting:
1) Cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth (3-4 minutes on high speed). Add in the vanilla extract.
2) Add half of the powdered sugar, beat until smooth (3-4 minutes). Scrap down the sides of the bowl.
3) Add the other half of the powdered sugar and beat until smooth.