For the cupcake batter:
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter at room temperature
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- vanilla extract
- ¾ cup milk
For the Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 100g butter at room temperature
- 160g cream cheese at room temperature
- 5 ml vanilla extract
- 560g powdered sugar
1) Preheat the oven to 180° C. Line a cupcake tray with paper cases.
2) In a large bowl sift the flour, salt, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground cloves and baking soda. Give all ingredients a whisk and set aside.
3) In a separate bowl cream butter and sugar until light and creamy consistency. Beat in the eggs – one at a time, mixing between each addition. Add molasses and mix until homogenized.
4) Alternately add the milk and flour and bring all the ingredients together, adding any remaining flour at the end.
5) Divide the batter between the cupcake cases. (I use piping bag – it is really helpful)
6) Bake in the oven for around 20-22 minutes. When a skewer or cocktail stick comes out clean the cupcakes are ready. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
7) To make the Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting: Cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth (3-4 minutes). Beat in the vanilla extract. Slowly add half the sugar, scraping down the bowl frequently. Beat until smooth (2-3 minutes). Add the rest of the powdered sugar and beat until very light and creamy.