Khachapuri Po Adjarski (Georgian cheese and egg bread)
For the dough:
- 550gm bread flour
- 400ml milk
- 50gm butter
- 1 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
For the filling:
- 350gm Roomy cheese, grated
- 350gm Mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs for the cheese mixture
- 4 eggs extra
- 50gm butter
1) To make the dough: in a medium size sauce pan combine milk and butter. Gently heat up until the butter melted. Remove for the heat and allow to cool slightly.
2) In the bowl of an electric mixer combine yeast, sugar, flour and salt. Pour the milk over. Start kneading until soft dough forms. Add the salt and knead for few more minutes.
3) Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 4 minutes).
4) Transfer to a lightly greased bowl and cover loosely with plastic wrap; set in a fridge until almost doubled in size (about 20-30 minutes).
5) Heat the oven to 200-220°C.
6) To make the filling: combine cheeses in a bowl. Mix in two eggs and set aside.
7) Punch down dough and divide in quarters. On a piece of lightly floured parchment paper, roll each quarter of dough into a circle about 4-5mm thick.
8) Spread a quarter of the cheese mixture over dough, leaving a 2cm border.
Connect the sides of the circle in the middle and pinch to seal, making a boat shape. Flip each «boat» seem side down on a baking sheet. With a sharp knife make a slit (from one end to another). Bend the edges of the slit inwards.
9) Bake the «boats» until golden brown (about 14–16 minutes).
10) Crack 1 egg into the center of each boat. Return to oven until egg white is slightly set (3–4 minutes).
11) Brush with butter as soon as you take the Khachipuri out of the oven.