Medovik – Russian Honey Cake
For the cake dough:
- 90g clear honey
- 220g sugar
- 30g butter
- 10g baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 4 eggs (200g)
- 500-560g flour
For the Sour Cream crème:
- 500-550g sour cream
- 50g whipping cream
- 50g powdered sugar
1) In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the sugar, honey and butter over medium heat. Once simmering, cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
2) Whisk in baking soda. The mixture will create foam and triple in volume.
3) Remove from heat and set aside for 2 to 3 minutes. Lightly beat the eggs in a measuring jug and add them at once to the honey mixture. Whisk vigorously to prevent eggs from cooking.
4) Stir in the salt and vanilla and half of the flour. The dough is going to be thick and sticky. Allow it to rest for few minutes, then add the remaining flour.
5) Lightly flour the counter and divide the still-warm dough into 8 even pieces. Roll the first one between two sheets of parchment paper to a thickness of about 2-3mm round. Remove top sheet of parchment paper. Dock the circle all over with a fork. Place onto a baking sheet and bake for 6 to 7 minutes (180C). Once baked place a round plate over the baked layer and trim the edges while still hot. Reserve the trimmings. Repeat with the remaining dough pieces.
6) To make the Sour Cream Crème: Combine sour cream, whipping cream and powdered sugar in a bowl of an electric mixer. Beat for 3-4 minutes until the mixture resembles the consistency of a thick yoghurt.
7) To assemble the cake: place a dab of the sour cream mixture on the cake plate and place the first layer of the cake on top of it to help adhere it. Scoop about 70g of the sour cream mixture onto the center of your first cookie layer. Spread it only a little from the center. Stack the second layer on top and repeat with the rest of the layers.
8) Grind reserved trimmings in a blender or food processor. Sprinkle the top and sides of the cake with the crumbs.
9) Place the cake into the fridge for at least 6 to 8 hours. This time is needed for the cake layers to absorb the cream and become moist.