Oregano and Sesame Seed Toast Bread
- 500gm bread flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons dry oregano
- 5 tablespoons lightly toasted sesame seeds
- 5 table spoons olive oil + more for greasing the tray
- egg white for the egg wash
1) To make the dough: in a mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in water.
2) Mix together the flour, dry oregano, sesame seeds and salt in another bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients. Pour the yeast mixture and the olive oil into the well and start to mix with your hands. Mix until you have a smooth, well-combined dough that you can pick up and take out of the bowl.
3) On a cool, lightly floured countertop, knead the dough-slapping it down on the counter, pushing it away with the heal of your hand, and folding it over. It may feel sticky but don’t add flour; use a scraper instead. Knead for about 15 minutes.
4) Place into a greased bowl, cover with plastic and let it sit at room temperature until doubled in size (about 1 hour).
5) To shape the bread: gently remove the dough from its rising bowl and transfer it to a lightly floured work surface. Flatten the dough, pushing out air bubbles. On a lightly floured surface, gently flatten the dough into a rectangle then fold it lengthwise and gently press the side to seal.
6) Gently lower the dough into an oiled toast mould seam side down. Brush with an egg wash, sprinkle some sesame seeds and cover with plastic wrap and let proof for an hour or until the loaf has risen to the brim of the pan.
7) Heat the oven to 200°C and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until loaf is golden brown on top and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom of the pan.
8) Transfer pan to wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then remove bread from pan and place on wire rack to finish cooling for at least 2 hours. Do not cut the bread before it is completely cooled. Bread should be wrapped tightly and store at room temperature.