Osetinskie Porogi with Spinach or Chard (Ossetian Pie)
For the dough:
- 4 cups of flour
- 1 cup Rayeb milk
- ½ cup milk (warm)
- 1 ½ teaspoon yeast
- 1 egg
- 40gm butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
For the stuffing:
- 150gm Roomy cheese
- 150gm mozzarella cheese
- 200-250gm fresh spinach chopped (or chard)
- bunch of green onions
- salt and pepper
1) In a measuring cup combine sugar, milk and instant yeast. Allow to stand for 5-10 minutes.
2) Sift the flour. Add the rest of the ingredients and knead until elastic dough formed (almost not sticking to your hands)
3) Add a bit of oil to the dough. Oil a large bowl and place the dough it. Cover and allow to double in size.
4) Punch the dough. Divide into 3 or 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into 1 cm thick circle. Place a ball of the filling in the center and pinch the dough to close it on itself.
5) Invert on a working surface dusted with flour. Roll into about 1cm thickness.
6) Place on a lightly greased baking tray.
7) Baking: preheat the oven to 200C. Bake in the middle rack first until the bottom of the bread bakes well. Place on the top rack to give a nice baked color to the top of the bread.
8) Brush with butter as soon as the bread out of the oven. Serve hot.
9) Chop fresh chard leaves quite thin. If you are using spinach, it will be better if you boil it for a minute or two and then drain.
10) Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
11) Do not add salt from the beginning! Add it when you already divided your filling and ready to shape the bread.
12) Divide the filling into 3 or 4 portions. Shape each into a ball.