- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup sugar
-70gm melted butter
- ¼ cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons of instant yeast
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- 15 pecan halves, sliced into 3 vertical sections
- 1/4 cup melted butter, optional
1) To make the pumpkin pure: cut the pumpkin into large chunks, remove the seeds and place into an oiled baking tin. Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes until the pumpkin becomes very soft and cooked. Remove from the oven, cool. Scrape out the cooked pumpkin flesh with a spoon discarding the skin. Use a blender to process into a puree.
2) Pour hot milk in a mixing bowl, add butter and stir to melt. Add sugar, pumpkin puree, salt to the milk and combine well.
3) In a small bowl proof yeast in a lukewarm water. When it gets foamy add to the pumpkin mixture, and add the egg, mix well.
4) Add in flour gradually and mix until well combined. The dough will be sticky. Cover with the cling wrap and leave to rest for 15-20 minutes, then continue mixing.
5) If using electric mixer, attach a dough hook and beat the mixture until the dough itself pulls from the side of the bowl.
6) Turn the dough out to a wooden board dusted with a little bit of flour. Form the dough into a ball shape, place in an oiled bowl and cover with a cling film tightly. Let it proof until doubles in volume.
7) Punch the dough to deflate and knead it for a few times. Cut the dough in half. Cut each half into about 15 pieces.
8) Roll each piece into a ball shape with your hand. Flatten the piece with palm of your hand a little. Using a knife, make 8 cuts on the edge to mimic flower pedals but the leave center uncut.
9) Poke the center with your finger to give a deep indentation, and repeat the same procedure to all the other pieces.
10) Place buns 5-6cm apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or baking mat, and let the buns rise again to be doubled, about 45 minutes. If the center indentation is not obvious on the rolls, poke them again with your finger. Brush with egg wash, if you wish.
11) Preheat oven 180-190ºC and bake for 25-35 minutes.
12) Insert pecan slices on top to mimic pumpkin stem.