For the cake batter:
- 345gm cake flour (2 2/3cup) or (25gm corn starch and 325gm all purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 10gm cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 115gm butter at room temperature
- 400gm sugar
- 240ml vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs at room temperature and separated
- 22ml vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- gel red food colouring
- 240ml Rayeb milk at room temperature (or 180ml Rayeb +60gm sourcream)
For the Cream Cheese Buttercream:
- 160gm cream cheese at room temperature
- 100gm butter at room temperature
- 480gm powdered sugar
- 30-45ml cream or milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1) Preheat the oven to 170-180C. Lightly butter three cake pans and line each with baking parchment. Set aside.
2) Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
3) Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until smooth and creamy – about 2-3 minutes. Add the sugar and beat on high speed for 2 minutes until creamed together fairly well. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
4) Add the oil and beat on high for 2 minutes. The butter may look “piece-y” and not completely combined with the oil. Add the eggs and the vanilla. Beat on medium-high speed until combined.
5) Add food coloring. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients in three additions alternating with the Rayeb milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, and mixing each addition just until incorporated. Do not overmix
6) Pour the vinegar over the baking soda and mix with the batter. The batter will be silky and slightly thick.
7) Pour 1/3 of the batter into each of the cake pans filling 2/3 of the way full.
8) Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the tops of the cakes spring back when gently
touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If the cakes need a little longer as judged by wet crumbs on the toothpick, bake them for longer. However do not overbake; your cakes may dry out. Remove from the oven and allow cakes to cool in the pans set on a wire rack. Cool them completely before decorating.
9) To make the frosting: in a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a or paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter together on medium speed until smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Add the powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of milk. Beat for extra 2-3 minutes.