Rich chocolate cupcakes
For the cupcake batter:
- 1 1/2 (185gm) cups flour
- 1/2 cup (50gm) dark cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cups (210ml) milk
- 1/3 cup (70ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (200gm) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
For the American buttercream:
- 3 cups of powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 cup (230gm) butter at room temperature
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons of milk to adjust the consistency
- few drops of electric orange food coloring (optional)
1) Preheat the oven to 180° C. Line a cupcake tray with paper cases.
2) In large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
3) In a bowl of an electric mixer, beat milk, vegetable oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla
essence until well combined. Add dry sifted ingredients and mix on low speed until evenly moistened. Increase speed to medium and beat until smooth (about 30 seconds).
5) Divide the batter between the cupcake cases. (I use piping bag – it is really helpful)
6) Bake in the oven for around 20-22 minutes. When a skewer or cocktail stick comes out clean the cupcakes are ready. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
7) For the American Buttercream: Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft and creamy (3-4 minutes). Add half of the powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Add the remaining powdered sugar and vanilla essence and beat the mixture until creamy and smooth. Beat in the milk, if necessary, to loosen the mixture.
8) Stir in food coloring until well combined. Scoop into a piping bag and pipe little amount of the buttercream on top of the cooled cupcakes.
9) Use fondant to create a cat face to make you cupcakes absolutely irresistible!